Darnall engine shed
was an engine shed
. It was built by the London & North Eastern Railway
to serve the Sheffield area, passenger trains originating or changing at Sheffield Victoria
and goods and pilot workings. The shed was built adjacent to the main line immediately west of Darnall station
Knowing that facilities at Neepsend
were too cramped to operate efficiently the L.N.E.R. set about finding a suitable site for new facilities with easy access to their system in Sheffield. A site at Darnall was chosen and planning for the new engine shed commenced in 1936. Opening did not take place until 1943 with much machinery, due to wartime restrictions on new purchase, being brought from Neepsend. Photographs published in the "LNER Journal" showed the new facilities but, due to information restrictions at the time, it was captioned as being "somewhere in the north of England".
The building was a 10 track straight through brick shed, with a large coaling plant and turntable. After the electrification of the local railways
, an electric locomotive shed was also built. It closed on 4 October 1965 when Tinsley Marshalling Yard
and its depot opened. The depot buildings were then used as a wagon-repair depot until the late 1980s.
British Railways initially allocated the shed code 39B to Darnall, and later 41A, both within the Eastern Region
code sequence. Locomotive classes allocated to Darnall in 1952 included LNER Thompson Class B1