दौलताबाद; ؛ meaning “City of Prosperity”), is a 14th century fort city in Maharashtra
, about 16 kilometers northwest of Aurangabad
. The place, was once as known as Deogiri
, (circa the sixth century AD, when it was an important uplands city along caravan routes and is now but a village, based around the former city of the same name.
Starting 1327, it famously remained the capital of Tughlaq dynasty
, under Muhammad bin Tughluq
(r. 1325-1351), who also changed its name, and forcibily moved the entire population of Delhi
here, for two years, before it was abandoned due to lack of water.
Fort of Devagiri
Once known as 'Devgiri', this magnificent 12th century fortress stands on a hill just 13 km. from Aurangabad. It was given the name Daulatabad, the 'city of fortune', by Muhammad Tughlaq, Sultan of Delhi. Initially a Yadav stronghold, it passed through the hands of several dynasties in the Deccan. One of the world's best preserved fort of medieval times, surviving virtually unaltered, Daulatabad yet displays the character that made it invincible.
Arguably amongst the best constructed forts all over the world, this fort never in its lifetime witnessed a battle. Only once was the power transferred on this fort, and that too was by treachery!
It has 7 lines of defence all the way up to the Baradari (palatial building on the top) and each line is constructed in such a way, that even if that line is captured, it is... Read More