is a historic shipbuilding
company located in Lauzon, Quebec
. The facility has undergone restructuring and is currently operating as Davie Yards Incorporated
The Davie shipyard in Lauzon has an incredibly complex ownership history.
The Davie shipyard was founded in 1825 by Allison Davie
(May 4, 1796-June 1836), an English
ship captain, however the construction record only dates to 1897. The company was established on the south shore of the St Lawrence River
across from Quebec City
in the community of Lauzon, Quebec
(now part of the city of Levis, Quebec
). Davie's father in-law, George Taylor, had begun a shipbuilding business in 1811 and Davie apparently purchased those assets as well. Following Allison Davie's death, the company was headed by his wife Elizabeth Davie until 1850, when his son George Taylor Davie
(d. 1870) as George T. Davie & Sons
. It changed its name in 1914 to Davie Shipbuilding & Repairing
. The Davie family sold the shipyard to Canada Steamship Lines
in 1929, however, they also started another "George T. Davie shipyard" immediately next door to the larger Lauzon facility.
The company has built a wide range of vessels in the 1800s and first half of the 20th century, ranging from... Read More