was a small unincorporated community
in Warwick County, Virginia
, and was long the county seat
. After a municipal consolidation in 1958, it became a neighborhood of the independent city
of Newport News
Denbigh was named for Denbigh Plantation, which was patented by Colonel Samuel Mathews
, who came to Virginia before 1618, filled several important posts, and became the father of Samuel Mathews
, a royal governor
of the Virginia Colony
from 1656-1660. His son John Mathews (b. 1659 - May 1, 1706) married Elizabeth Tavernor on March 24, 1684 and they also made their his home at the Denbigh Plantation.
The first courthouse and jail were located nearby, at Warwick Towne, established in 1680. The colonial port was located at Deep Creek and the Warwick River
on of Samuel Mathews' land. In 1790, Warwick County recorded 1,690 persons in the Federal Census, making it the third smallest county population-wise in Virginia. After the American Revolution
, in 1809, Warwick Towne was abandoned, and the county seat was moved to the area of Denbigh Plantation, near Stoney Run.
The town of Denbigh was the county seat
of Warwick County from 1810 until 1952, except for a short period from 1888 to 1896 when the courthouse was located in what is now downtown Newport News. It was moved back to Denbigh when Newport News became an independent city
Warwick County... Read More