Derby Carriage and Wagon Works
was built by the Midland Railway
Railway building began at Derby Works
in 1840, when the North Midland Railway
, the Midland Counties Railway
and the Birmingham and Derby Railway
set up engine sheds as part of their Tri Junct Station
. When the three merged in 1844 to form the Midland Railway its first Locomotive and Carriage Superintendent Matthew Kirtley
set out to organise their activities and persuaded the directors to build their own rolling stock, rather than buying it in.
The plant has been through many changes of ownership. It is currently owned by Bombardier Transportation GmbH
, a subsidiary of Bombardier Inc.
of Canada, and is the only remaining train manufacturer in Britain.
By the 1860s the works had expanded to such an extent, that he was considering reorganising it and, in 1873, it separated into the Midland Railway Locomotive Works
, known locally as "The Loco" and a new Derby Carriage and Wagon Works,
further south, off Litchurch Lane, locally known as the "Carriage and Wagon". This was completed by his successor Samuel W. Johnson
, under the control of Thomas Gethin Clayton
Billson, P., (1996) Derby and the Midland Railway,
The carriages of the time were less than fifty feet long but, possibly because the Midland had just taken delivery of its first Pullman car, 56 feet 5 inches long, Clayton had the foresight to design the works to deal with... Read More