DeSales Catholic traces its roots to two high schools, all-girls St. Vincent Academy and St. Patrick's School for Boys. St. Vincent Academy was established by the Sisters of Providence of Vancouver in 1864. St. Patrick's School for Boys was established in 1865 by the Christian Brothers. St. Patrick's was renamed LaSalle Institute in 1899. The two schools merged in 1930. The school moved to its current campus in 1959 and was renamed DeSales Catholic school.