Devon Energy Corporation
(), is among the largest U.S.-based independent natural gas
and oil producers. Based in Oklahoma City
, the company's operations are focused on North American
onshore exploration and production. Devon is one of North America’s larger processors of natural gas liquids
and owns natural gas pipelines and treatment facilities in many of the company’s producing areas.
The company is ranked among Fortune's 500
largest corporations in America, and is also included on the publication's 100 Best Companies to Work For
and Most Admired Companies
lists. Devon is also included in the S&P 500
Index and trades on the New York Stock Exchange under the ticker symbol DVN.
Devon Energy currently occupies space in five buildings in Oklahoma City, including the company owned Mid America Tower
. However, the company has significantly outgrown the space, and construction is underway for the new 50-story Devon Energy World Headquarters Tower
, scheduled for completion in 2012.
- 1971 Devon founded by John Nichols and his son, Larry.
- 1988 Devon becomes a public company, listing on the American Stock Exchange under the ticker symbol DVN.
- 1992 Acquisition of Hondo Oil and Gas for $122 million sets the stage for a series of major acquisitions in the years to come.
- 1996 Devon acquired Kerr-McGee’s North American onshore oil and gas properties for $250 million, increasing the company’s reserves by 46 percent.
- 1998 Devon acquired......