, also known as The L. S. Donaldson Company, Minneapolis, Minnesota
is a defunct department store
The L. S. Donaldson Co., Minneapolis, Minnesota, was founded in 1883 by Scottish Immigrants. Built in 1884, the building was known as "The Glass Block" because of its extensive use of glass
in its design. That building even included a small dome
at the intersection of Nicollet Avenue and West Seventh Street, but it was dismantled for scrap metal during the Second World War
. It was renovated beyond its historical recognition after the war. The store was acquired by Allied Stores
Corp. in 1928.
In 1961, The Golden Rule store of St. Paul, Minnesota
was transferred by Allied Stores to Donaldson's, and operated as Donaldson's Golden Rule until the mid-1960s when the name was changed to Donaldson's. The Golden Rule was purchased by Hahn in 1928.
In 1978, Donaldson's then parent company, Allied Stores transferred control of the three-store James Black Company
chain of Waterloo
Donaldson's flagship store left its old building for the new City Center development when it opened in 1982. The original store complex, which occupied half a city block, burned in a fire on Thanksgiving Day
of that year due to arson, along with the Northwestern National Bank Building; the sites are currently occupied by the Gaviidae Common
and Wells Fargo Center
In 1985 the company acquired its struggling rival The Powers Dry Goods
... Read More