Drimnagh Castle Secondary School
is a Christian Brothers
secondary school located on the Long Mile Road in the suburb of Drimnagh
. The school buildings are situated directly beside the old Norman castle
from which the school takes its name.
Secondary School first opened its doors in 1954. For a short time after the school opened, classes took place in the castle itself, until the current buildings were completed at a cost of £84,000.
At the time of its opening, all students were taught by Christian Brothers
. As the years passed, however, the numbers of brothers teaching in the school gradually fell and there are currently no brothers teaching in the school. The majority of students come from Drimnagh Castle Primary School
but a good deal of pupils come from other schools in the area as well as other schools in the surrounding suburbs. Dr Ray Walsh has been the Principal since 2000.
The school recently celebrated its 50th anniversary. This occasion was celebrated by the addition of a new sports changing facility which was officially opened on 4 October 2004 by President Mary McAleese
Drimnagh Castle or ‘The Castle’ as it has come to be known by its students, has a great sporting tradition helped by its extensive playing fields which lie hidden from view of the Long Mile Road. The school team was crowned All-Ireland soccer champions in 2002 and have also won a host of GAA tournaments in recent years.