was an Irish Borough constituency
in the House of Commons
of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland
. It comprised the city of Dublin
in the county of Dublin
, and was represented by two Members of Parliament
from its creation in 1801 until 1885.
In 1885, Dublin City was split into four divisions which were separate single member constituencies: Dublin College Green
, Dublin Harbour
, Dublin St Stephen's Green
and Dublin St Patrick's
The city of Dublin was accounted a county of itself
, although it remained connected with County Dublin for certain purposes. A Topographical Directory of Ireland
, published in 1837, describes the Parliamentary history of the city.
<blockquote>The city returns two members to the Imperial parliament; the right of election, formerly vested in the corporation, freemen, and 40s. freeholders, has been extended to the £10 householders, and £20 and £10 leaseholders for the respective terms of 14 and 20 years, by the act of the 2nd of William IV., cap. 88. The number of voters registered at the first general election under that act was 7041, of which number, 5126 voted. The limits of the city, for electoral purposes, include an area of 3538 statute acres, the boundaries of which are minutely detailed in the Appendix; the number of freemen is about 3500, of whom 2500 are resident and 1000 non-resident, and the number of £10 houses is 16,000 : the sheriffs are the returning officers.</blockquote>
The boundary... Read More