- St Patrick's redirect here. For other uses, see St. Patrick's
Dublin St Patrick's', a division of Dublin, was a UK parliamentary constituency
. It returned one Member of Parliament
(MP) to the British House of Commons
1885–1922. It had three wards – Merchant's Quay, Usher's Quay and Wood Quay.
Prior to the 1885 general election
, the city was the undivided two member Dublin City
constituency. In 1885, Dublin was divided into four constituencies: the St Patrick's, Dublin College Green
, Dublin Harbour
and Dublin St Stephen's Green
In 1918, the city was allocated seven seats: in addition to the four existing constituencies, the new divisions were Dublin Clontarf
, Dublin St James's
and Dublin St Michan's
From the dissolution of 1922, the area was no longer represented in the UK Parliament.
This constituency comprised part of the city of Dublin
Dublin St Patrick's in 1918 gave Sinn Féin
about two-thirds of its votes. Countess Markiewicz
was the first woman to win a Parliamentary election in Britain and Ireland, at the first election where women were allowed to be candidates.
In common with other Sinn Féin members, elected in 1918, the MP did not take her seat at Westminster but instead participated in the revolutionary Dáil Éireann
Members of Parliament
- Anti-Parnellite Nationalist (IPP) from December 1890.
This constituency elected its MP using the first past the post electoral system.