The Duke Ellington Bridge,
named after Duke Ellington
, carries Calvert Street NW over Rock Creek
in Washington, D.C.
, United States
. It connects 18th Street NW in Adams Morgan
with Connecticut Avenue
NW in Woodley Park, just north of the Taft Bridge
Originally called the "Calvert Street Bridge", it was designed by Paul Philippe Cret
in a neoclassical
style and built in 1935. It was rededicated as the Duke Ellington Bridge following the death of the Washington native and famous band leader in 1974. It is a limestone structure with three graceful arches. There are four sculptural reliefs on the abutments measuring three feet high by four feet wide. The classical reliefs by Leon Hermant
represent the four modes of travel: automobile, train, ship, and plane.
The bridge replaced one built in 1891 by the Rock Creek Railway
to carry streetcars. The bridge was a steel trestle bridge with a wooden floor, long and high. To avoid service disruption, the old bridge was moved south during the construction of the Duke Ellington Bridge; however, streetcar service was discontinued before the new bridge opened. The bridge has security fencing because it is a suicide bridge