The Dundee and Arbroath Railway
was a railway link between those two towns in Scotland which ran along the banks of the River Tay
The railway company received its Parliamentary Act
on 19 May 1836. It was planned as a gauge railway, because, at that time, it was expected to be a purely local railway with no connection to the national network. The main part of the line, some from Arbroath to a temporary terminus at Craigie
, opened on 6 October 1838. A extension to Roodyards, at the east end of Dundee, opened on 3 June 1839, and the final section, of only from Roodyards to Trades Lane opened on 2 April 1840.
It soon became clear that the railway could not remain isolated from the rest of the network, and on 19 May 1845 a conference was held in London between representatives of the Dundee & Arbroath Railway, the Dundee & Perth Railway
and the Arbroath & Forfar Railway
to agree how to provide through traffic over the three railways.
This required the line to be converted to standard gauge
, which took place on 6 July 1847. Then, on 23 December 1847, a connecting line at Arbroath was opened, which linked it to the Arbroath & Forfar Railway.
In May 1848 the short branch from Broughty Ferry
to Broughty Ferry Pier opened. This formed the northern terminal of the ferry service across the Firth of Tay
from Ferryport-on-Craig, which was operated by the Edinburgh and Northern Railway
. This branch closed when the Tay Bridge
opened."Railway... Read More