- This article is about a closed railway station of the South Eastern Railway.
- For the current light railway station at Dungeness, see Dungeness railway station.
was a railway station which served the Dungeness headland
. Opened in 1883 by The Lydd Railway Company
, it closed to passengers in 1937. Part of the line which served the station is converted to the main access road as a means of transporting atomic waste
from nearby Dungeness nuclear power station
Dungeness was the terminus of the Lydd Railway Company's branch from Appledore
which opened on 7 December 1881. Passenger services initially terminated at Lydd
, although a goods service operated as far as Dungeness. The line was opened throughout to passengers as from 1 April 1883. A second branch was opened the following year from a point just south of Lydd
to New Romney
. The railway terminated almost at the foot of Dungeness lighthouse
where very basic facilities were provided in the shape of a single platform on which was perched a small arched roof weather-boarded
shed comprising a ticket office, waiting room and ladies and gents toilets. A run-round loop
was provided to facilitate engine reversals and a siding led to the lighthouse.
The promoters of the line had hoped that linking Dungeness, one of the largest expanses of shingle
in the world, with London by rail would lead to its development as a port from which cross-channel... Read More