The station opened on 1 October 1860, being named Dunstable Church Street. It was renamed Dunstable Town on 1 January 1927, and closed on 26 April 1965.
The line has never been legally decommissioned between Luton and Dunstable, although it is no longer in use. Dunstable is now one of the largest towns in south-east England without a railway connection. The station was immortalised in 1964 in the song "Slow Train" by Flanders and Swann.The station was on Station Road.