is located south of Cambridge
, within the Parish of Duxford
, England and nearly west of the village.
The airfield is owned jointly by the Imperial War Museum
(IWM) and Cambridgeshire County Council
and it is the site of the Imperial War Museum Duxford
and the American Air Museum, which is conveniently located there, quite near to the Cambridge American Cemetery and Memorial
between Madingley and Coton, west of Cambridge City and only north of Duxford.
Duxford Aerodrome has a CAA
Ordinary Licence (Number P678) that allows flights for the public transport of passengers or for flying instruction as authorised by the licensee (Cambridgeshire County Council). The aerodrome is not licensed for night use.
Royal Air Force
Duxford airfield dates to 1918 when many of the buildings were constructed by German prisoner-of-war
labour. The airfield housed 8 Squadron
in 1919–1920 which was equipped with F.2Bs. The airfield was then used by No. 2 Flying Training School until, April 1923 when 19 Squadron
was formed at Duxford with Sopwith Snipes
By 1925 Duxford's three fighter squadrons had expanded to include the Gloster Grebes
and Armstrong Whitworth Siskins
. No.19 Squadron re-equipped with Bristol Bulldogs
in 1931, and in 1935, was the first squadron to fly the RAF's fastest new fighter, the Gloster Gauntlet
, capable of 230 mph (375 km/h).The station was enlarged between 1928 and 1932.In... Read More