East Brixton railway station
was a railway station on the South London Line
from London Victoria
to London Bridge
. Opened as Loughborough Park
in 1866 then called Loughborough Park and Brixton
from 1870, before it was finally renamed East Brixton in 1894.
The station consisted of two platforms with wooden buildings on a viaduct next to the bridge over Barrington Road, near Coldharbour Lane.
Decline and Closure
Over the years the station became progressively neglected, and lost passengers from 1971 when Brixton tube station
, the southern terminus of the new Victoria Line
, opened nearby.With declining passenger numbers and the station requiring extensive repairs to the wooden platforms and buildings it was decided that the expense was not justified . There was a fire in 1975 which temporarily closed the station but the station reopened and was finally closed on 5 January 1976. The platforms and its buildings were demolished shortly after closure Nothing now remains of the station at track level: there are some arches and windows in the viaduct of the still used line.
With the proposed extension to the East London
and South London Lines
running along the route, there have been suggestions that East Brixton station could re-open as part of the new London Overground
network. Although the station was closed and demolished, there is still space to re-open it. The option of building platforms at Brixton railway station
on the same... Read More