The East Melbourne Cricket Ground
) was a sports venue located at the corner of Wellington Parade and Jolimont Parade, in East Melbourne, Victoria
. The ground adjoined the Melbourne Cricket Ground
(MCG) and was not that far from Richmond Football Club
's Punt Road Oval
, all three grounds being cited in the area formerly known as Captain Lonsdale
's Cow Paddock, now Yarra Park
The ground was opened in 1860 and closed in 1921, after which it was demolished to make way for an extension of the Jolimont Yard
railway sidings. The site has now been taken over by a housing estate, a feature of which is a semi-circular housing block with a tower, obviously designed to look like an ersatz football pavilion.
Four first-class cricket
games were played at the ground in the 1880s, including the Smokers v Non-Smokers
match on 17–21 March 1887, in which the Non-Smokers made 803, at the time a world record innings score.
East Melbourne Cricket Club was the most successful member of the Victorian Cricket Association
during the 19th Century and early 20th Century, winning more than half of the VCA's Premierships during that period. The club was formed in 1857 as the Abbotsford Football Club but they soon changed their name as part of a putsch to use the EMCG. The team mainly consisted of Scotch College old boys. When the club lost the use of the ground in 1921, they amalgamated with the Hawthorn Cricket Club to form the Hawthorn-East Melbourne Cricket Club and moved... Read More