East Tsim Sha Tsui Station
: 尖東站) is a station in the Mass Transit Railway
(MTR) system of Hong Kong
. It is currently an intermediate station on the West Rail Line
The station was built to alleviate surface traffic jams and passenger congestion at Kowloon Tong Station
. The distance from Hung Hom to the station is about one kilometre with the journey time of less than two minutes.
This station is linked with Tsim Sha Tsui Station
of the Tsuen Wan Line
(underground pedestrian tunnels).
East Tsim Sha Tsui station was opened on 24 October 2004 as a southward extension of the East Rail Line
from Hung Hom Station
, and served as the southern terminus of the East Rail Line until 16 August 2009.
The predecessor of the East Rail Line is the Kowloon-Canton Railway
, which was opened in 1910. At the time of opening, its southern terminus was the old Kowloon Station
located in Tsim Sha Tsui
, where the Clock Tower
stands today. However, the old Kowloon Station in Tsim Sha Tsui was demolished in 1974, and the southern terminus of the railway was relocated to a newly-built station in Hung Hom
. Therefore, the 2004 southward extension from Hung Hom Station
to East Tsim Sha Tsui Station symbolised the return of the railway to the Tsim Sha Tsui area after 30 years.
The status of East Tsim Sha Tsui Station as the southern terminus of the East Rail Line was intended to be a temporary arrangement only. Upon the opening of the MTR Kowloon Southern......