The Eastern Market
is a public market
in the Capitol Hill neighborhood
of Washington, D.C.
, housed in a 19th century brick building. It is located on 7th Street SE
, a few blocks east of the U.S. Capitol
between North Carolina Avenue SE and C Street SE. The Eastern Market is on the National Register of Historic Places
. Badly damaged by an early-morning fire on April 30, 2007, the market building reopened on June 26, 2009.
Eastern Market also marks a smaller community within the Capitol Hill neighborhood by serving as an anchor point for other nearby stores and restaurants. It is served by a nearby eponymous stop
on the Washington Metro Blue
and Orange Lines
The Eastern Market was designed by Adolf Cluss
and was in continuous operation as a public market from 1873 until April 30, 2007. It was the first in a larger city-owned public market system, initiated to urbanize Washington, make orderly provision for the distribution of goods to its residents, and serve as a magnet to draw residents. The Market was expanded in 1908 withthe addition of the Center and North Halls designed by Snowden Ashford
. At the start ofthe 20th century, the Eastern Market was recognized as the unofficial "town center" of Capitol Hill. It is the last of the city's public markets still in operation.
The market nearly closed because of competition from grocery store
chains and a decline in neighborhood investment. Local residents fought to keep it open, and the area has since... Read More