- For the Queensland Premier Rugby club, see Easts Tigers Rugby Union.
The Eastern Suburbs Tigers
are a rugby league
club based at Langlands Park
, which is in the suburb of Coorparoo
. They competed in the Brisbane Rugby League
from 1934 to 1996. From 1996 they have competed in the Queensland Cup
. Their jersey is traditionally an all gold jersey with two Black Vs. In recent years they have included white in their jersey.
Easts had competed as Coorparoo in the Brisbane Rugby League premiership
from 1917. With the move to district football in 1933 a new club, the Eastern Suburbs District Rugby League club, was formed. A feature of the 1920s was the signing of South Sydney Rugby League legend, Harold Horder
as their Captain Coach in 1924 and 1925.
The club struggled on the field during the 1930s and 1940s putting the club in severe financial trouble. In 1946, the club was successfully revived after suffering many defeats during the war years with the re-election of A.G. (Taffy) Welch as club president and the implementation of a completely new management committee. In 1946 no less than twelve teams were registered with the Brisbane Rugby League
. Of these teams, ten were semi finalists and seven made the grand finals. The main object was to present to the public a really strong first grade team. The next year, 1947, saw what would probably be the greatest side fielded by the club. Every trophy competed for in the BRL competition and Premiership... Read More