The station was opened near the now closed Lower Edmonton railway stationas "Edmonton Green" on July 22, 1872 by the Great Eastern Railway (GER) on its new more direct line from central London. It was renamed "Lower Edmonton" on July 1, 1883. The original name was re-adopted in 1992 as being more indicative of the area served and to promote the nearby Edmonton Green Shopping Centre. The ticket office was rebuilt in the early 1980s.
Bus routes 102, 144, 149, 191, 259, 616,and W6 terminate near the station.Routes 192, 279, 349, 491, N279, W8 and sooner 231, 217 and 215.
The typical off-peak service at the station in trains per hour is: