() is a hamlet in the Dutch
province of Overijssel
. It is a part of the municipality of Ommen
, and lies about 21 km northwest of Almelo
.ANWB Topografische Atlas Nederland
, Topografische Dienst and ANWB, 2005.
At the heart of the Eerde hamlet lies Eerde
castle, a castle in the Dutch-classical style from 1715, surrounded by a 1,667 hectare estate
in the Baroque
style managed by the Natuurmonumenten
foundation since 1965.
The first castle on this site was built in the 14th century, but was soon destroyed by the forces of the Archbishop of Utrecht
in 1380. The Van Twickelo
, Van Renesse
and Van Pallandt
families have lived in castles on this site since.
In the early 1920s, baron Philip van Pallandt
deeded the castle and surrounding land to the Order of the Star in the East
, an organization connected to the famous philosopher
and spiritual teacher Jiddu Krishnamurti
, of whom the baron was an avid follower. The Order held annual gatherings of its members in the castle grounds until its dissolution in 1929; the deed to the estate was officially transferred back to the van Pallandt family in 1931, however Krishnamurti continued to occasionally use the estate for lectures and meetings until the outbreak of World War II
. During the war the estate had been used as a concentration camp (Camp Erika
) by the occupying German forces, and afterwards... Read More