The EFW N-20 "Aiguillon"
() was Switzerland
's first jet fighter aircraft. The Swiss Federal Aircraft Factory developed a design for a four-engined swept winged fighter following the end of the Second World War
. The aircraft was to be powered by four turbofan
engines buried in the wings, with the bypass air feeding cold-air pipes each side of the engine, being routed through a combustion chamber where additional fuel could be burned as a form of reheat
, or deflected though large slots on the upper and lower wings to act as aerodynamic flaps
or thrust reversers. Two engines could be shut down in flight to increase range. It was planned that the N-20 would carry its armament in a detachable weapons bay, capable of carrying large loads of cannons, rockets or bombs.
It was initially planned that the aircraft's engines would be designed and built by the Swiss company Sulzer
, but they abandoned this project in 1947, so the British Armstrong Siddeley Mamba turboprop
was chosen as the basis for the N-20's engines, with the propeller reduction gear replaced by a low pressure compressor.
A 3/5 scale wooden glider, the EFW N-20.01
was built to allow testing of novel wing shape, this flying on 17 April 1948. Although the glider was destroyed in a landing accident, it had successfully proven the design,... Read More