Eichenau was officially named in 1907 as a separate settlement to the community of Alling. Its location is due to the railway station on the line Munich to Lindau. The settlement grew according to plans made by district commissioner Josef Nibler in Fürstenfeldbruck since 1916. He founded the Baugenossenschaft Eichenau and managed to acquire 60 ha of land for housing projects after the First World War.Most of the population commutes to Munich. The town now has a large sports centre, complete with outdoor beach volleyball courts.
Eichenau has two elementary schools ("Grundschule") and one high school ("Hauptschule").
Hejo Busley, Angelika Schuster-Fox, Michael Gumtau (Hrsg.): Geschichte im Schatten einer Großstadt. Eichenau 1907–2007. Herbert Utz Verlag, München 2007, ISBN 3-8316-0717-6 (ISBN ) bzw. ISBN 978-3-8316-0717-4 (ISBN )