Eihō-ji was established in 1313 by the Nanzen-ji branch of Rinzai Zen Buddhism. The temple grounds are home to a number of zazen trainees, and the temple holds regular zazen sessions open to the general public. In addition to two buildings listed as National Treasures, the grounds include a pond, bridge and waterfall, and a traditional Zen garden.
On September 10, 2003, one of the main living quarters was destroyed by a fire. After a fundraising campaign run by the residents of Tajimi, the restoration was completed on August 29, 2007.
For an explanation of terms concerning Japanese Buddhism, Japanese Buddhist art, and Japanese Buddhist temple architecture, see the Glossary of Japanese Buddhism.