is a beach
community that is part of Manhattan Beach
, a city in the South Bay
area of Greater Los Angeles
in Southern California
The boundary of El Porto is 45th Street on the north side, which is the border with El Segundo
, and its Chevron
oil refinery, to 38th Street, which was the old border with Manhattan; the east-west boundary is Crest Drive, next to the fence of El Segundo's oil refinery, to El Porto State Beach
and the Pacific Ocean
section of El Porto is along Highland Avenue, which is its only main thoroughfare. North of 45th Street, Highland becomes Vista Del Mar Boulevard, which runs along the coast
to Playa del Rey
Residents of El Porto are currently zoned to Grandview Elementary School by the Manhattan Beach Unified School District
. Fire and Police Services are generally provided by the downtown police and fire facility.
El Porto was subdivided in 1911 on land owned by developer George H. Peck
. There were 83 business lots, 225 residential lots, on good soil partly covered with large trees, and ocean view sand lots. Included were concrete sidewalks
, oiled streets
and artesian water
that was piped in the streets.
The 30-by-90 foot lots, laid out by Peck, were each between a street and an alley
. At first, no names were given to the streets. Numbers were later assigned to the east-west streets and names to the alleys. The alley between 39th and 40th Streets, for instance, is named El Porto Street.
Although it is thought to... Read More