(died 1174) was a 12th century bishop of Glasgow
. He had previously been Archdeacon of Teviotdale
, and had served king Máel Coluim IV
as Chancellor of Scotland
between 1161 and 1164.John Dowden, The Bishops of Scotland
, ed. J. Maitland Thomson, (Glasgow, 1912), p. 297. He was elected Bishop of Glasgow on Sunday, September 20, 1164, and consecrated on October 28 at the hands of Pope Alexander III
himself in Sens
, where the Pope was then resident.loc. cit.
A.O. Anderson, Early Sources of Scottish History: AD 500–1286
, 2 Vols, (Edinburgh, 1922), vol. ii, p. 253, n. 2. Although he resigned the position of Royal Chancellor upon election to the bishopric, there is charter evidence that he once again became Chancellor in the reign of King William the Lion
, probably in the year 1171. Ibid.
, p. 259, n. 2. Notable actions of his episcopate included, probably on the request of his friend (and successor) Jocelin
, then Abbot of Melrose
, the opening of the tomb of the emerging saint Walthoef
, pp. 274-5; Richard Fawcetts, & Richard Oram, Melrose Abbey
, (Stroud, 2004), p. 23.As reported in the Chronicle of Melrose
, s.a. 1174, trans. A.O. Anderson, op. cit.
, p. 279.
<div style="font-size:... Read More