Esher railway station
is served by the Waterloo to Woking service
, operated by South West Trains
. The station serves Esher
via the main entrance, and a footpath leading to Sandown Park Racecourse
. At off-peak times there are 2 trains per hour north and 2 trains per hour south. The station is recognisable by its distinctive wooden bridge. Two additional island platforms
are disused and not accessible to passengers; they are passed by through trains without stopping.
When the railway arrived in Esher in 1838, the station was originally named "Ditton Marsh" after a large area of land near which the station was constructed which marks the boundary separating Thames Ditton
. The station was opened on 21 May 1838, and the name was soon altered from Ditton Marsh
to Esher and Hampton Court
. It has since been renamed twice more: to Esher and Claremont
in July 1844, and to Esher
on 1 June 1913. It has also been shown as Esher for Claremont
, or as Esher for Sandown Park
in some timetables.
Esher railway station featured on Little Howard's Big Question
, a children's TV show, when they confused the artist M. C. Escher with the town, and one of his drawings is mistakenly thought to be the railway station.
<gallery>Image:Esher railway station in 2008.jpg|Esher railway station passenger footbridge in 2008</gallery>