Esporte Clube Novo Hamburgo
, or Novo Hamburgo
as they are usually called, is a Brazilian football team
from Novo Hamburgo
in Rio Grande do Sul
, founded on May 1, 1911.
Home stadium is the Santa Rosa stadium. It has a maximum capacity of 13,000.
On May 1, 1911, employees of Adams Footwear Factory founded an association. In that day, during the celebrations of the Worker's Day, as it used to happen every year, took place a confraternization event between the employers and employees of the factory. After the barbecue ended, they always played football. Manoel Lopes Mattos, João Scherer, Aloys Auschild, Manoel Outeiro, João Tamujo and Adão Steigleder decided to found a football club. The suggested name was Adams Futebol Clube, but the name they chose was Sport Club Novo Hamburgo, later renamed to Esporte Clube Novo Hamburgo.
As Brazil entered World War II
in 1944 war joining the allies
side, Novo Hamburgo had to change its name, as it was of German origin - Novo Hamburgo means New Hamburg
. The city was renamed to Marechal Floriano Peixoto
and the club turned into Esporte Clube Floriano
. In 1968, the club reverted to its previous name.
Novo Hamburgo's first rival was Sociedade Esportiva Esperança, from the same city. At that time, Novo Hamburgo was named Floriano. The derby was known as Flor-Esp.
The second rival of Novo Hamburgo was Aimoré
, and the derby was known as Clássico do Vale (Valley's Derby). This rivalry was stronger during the 1960s and the... Read More