Estadio Defensores del Chaco
is a multi-purpose stadium
. It is currently used mostly for football
matches. The stadium once had a 50,000+ capacity but over the years the stadium has undergone remodeling dropping the capacity to 36,000.
The stadium was opened in 1917 and tts first name was "Estadio de Puerto Sajonia" because it was located in the Sajonia
neighbourhood in Asunción. After Uruguay won the Olympic gold medal in football in 1924
, the Paraguayan Football Association decided to rename the stadium "Uruguay" to honor the South American Nation. Later, the name was reverted back to Estadio Puerto Sajonia.
During the Chaco War
, the stadium was used as a munitions depot and troop meeting arena. After the war, it was renamed with the current name "Defensores del Chaco" (Defenders of the Chaco) in honour of the triumphant soldiers that took part in the Chaco War
. It underwent renovations during 1939, 1996 and 2007.
The stadium is not owned by a team (it is a National stadium
) and it is used primarily to host the home games of the Paraguay national football team
and for international football club tournament games such as the Copa Libertadores
and the Copa Sudamericana
. It also held important matches during the 1999 Copa América
, including the final in which Brazil
2009 Partial Collapse
On February 1, 2009, two anti-riot police officers... Read More