Evanston Township High School
(ETHS) District 202, is a four-year, comprehensive high school occupying a campus in Evanston, IL, a Chicago suburb along the Lake Michigan shore. ETHS serves the multiracial city of Evanston and a small portion of the neighboring village of Skokie, for a total district population of approximately 78,000. Together the two communities offer an ethnic, economic, racial, and cultural diversity that is reflected in the student body.
Accredited by the North Central Association, ETHS is a member of the National Association for College Admission Counseling and complies with the NACAC Statement of Principles of Good Practice.
The first high school in Evanston, the Preparatory School of Northwestern University
, established in 1857, was private. In 1873, public school superintendent Otis E. Haven
began teaching Evanston's first public high school class in an upper room of the Benson Avenue School. In 1875, Evanston's first Board of Education voted to establish a "high school" in the room, and the first class, consisting of two students, graduated in 1876. Enrollments grew rapidly and, despite multiple relocations to various buildings, by 1882 the school took four prizes in a statewide competition and was ranked third best in Illinois. Shortly thereafter, voters in April, 1882, passed a referendum and bond issue establishing a township school. Construction began promptly in October, 1882, and the first building opened in 1883, at......