Exe was the name given to one of three Manning Wardle 2-6-2T locomotives built in 1898 for the Lynton and Barnstaple Railway. All three were scrapped when the line was closed in 1935.
Exe, like all the locomotives on the L&B, was named after a local river with a three letter name: in this case the River Exe.
The tradition of naming L&B steam locos after local rivers continues into the 21st Century, with Lyd, a replica of Lew (the fourth locomotive built to this basic design), operational on the Ffestiniog railway and the Welsh Highland Railway.
Closer to The L&B, the railway's trust currently owns one steam locomotive - renamed Axe - although it did not serve on the historic L&B, is operational on the new line, currently centred at Woody Bay.