The stadium came to national attention on the 26 March 1893 during the FA Cup final between Wolverhampton Wanderers and Everton which Wolverhampton Wanderers won 1–0. With a capacity of 15,000 the attendance of 45,000 meant the majority of spectators had no view of the match. Despite this, the stadium hosted the 1899 FA Cup semi-final between Sheffield United and Liverpool; the match had to be abandoned due to a crush in the crowd.
The cycle track was originally of shale, later resurfaced with concrete, 509 yards in circumference with 30-degree bankings. The stadium hosted cycling events for the 1934 British Empire Games and the 1919 national championships. In 1955 sprint cyclist Reg Harris bought the stadium and it was for a period renamed the Reg Harris Stadium.