is a tidal inlet and shallow bay in Sydney Harbour
, separated from Sydney Cove
by Bennelong Point
(site of the Sydney Opera House
). Known to the indigenous inhabitants of Sydney
, Farm Cove was used by them as an initiation ground and for the "Kangaroo and Dog Dance".
The land immediately adjacent to Farm Cove was set aside soon after first European settlement in 1788 by Governor Arthur Phillip
for the Government House Domain
, a private reserve for the NSW Governor. The first farm for the colony was thereafter established in the area, subsequently lending its name to the cove. After the failure of this first farm, and the transfer of agricultural efforts elsewhere in the colony, Governor Lachlan Macquarie
established the Royal Botanic Gardens, Sydney
around Farm Cove in 1816. Farm Cove was used as an anchorage for Royal Navy
, Royal Australian Navy
and visiting naval vessels until the 1960's.
On 3 February 1954, Farm Cove was the site of where Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II
, Queen of Australia
, landed at the beginning of her first visit to Australia
. It was the first occasion on which a reigning monarch had set foot on Australian soil.
<gallery>Image:Farm Cove Sydney 2006.jpg|Farm Cove.Image:Farm Cove.jpg|Yachts out in the harbour.File:Australia Station Squadron (AWM 304426).jpg|Ships of the... Read More