The Fatima Jinnah Medical College, named after Fatima Jinnah, is located in Lahore, the capital of the Punjab province of Pakistan. Fatima Jinnah Medical College/Sir Ganga Ram Hospital is a medical institution with purpose built facilities to teach and train female doctors and also impart instructions to the postgraduate students and provide medical and health care facilities to the citizens of the country particularly in and around Lahore and more particularly to the women population. It is now a tertiary health care unit in the city.
Sir Ganga Ram Hospital was established in 1921 in the walled city of Lahore by a philanthropist Sir Ganga Ram who also donated a piece of land.
The hospital was shifted to its present location in 1943 to cope with the growing demand for medical and health care services.
In 1946 the family of Sir Ganga Ram started a medical college by the name Balak Ram Medical College named after a son of Sir Ganga Ram. Soon after national independence in 1947, the college was closed and its premises abandoned. However, the medical professional Prof. Shujaat Ali with the help of his colleagues nurtured the idea of setting up a medical institution for producing female doctors. It was especially felt that, by virtue of the cultural and social set up of a Muslim society, it was needed.