Faust Emanuel Lang (1887-1973)
Faust Lang was born to Andreas and Lucie Lang in Oberammergau in Southern Germany. His father was a sculptor and also played St. Peter in the Passion Play in Oberammergau.
Faust emigrated to England in 1934 living in Winterslow Rectory in Salisbury, Wiltshire, with his in-laws. The family then moved to Mawgan Porth, Cornwall, in 1936 along with his Wife Una Lang
and his son Wharton Lang
Finally in 1949 they moved to St Ives, Cornwall
, purchasing Fauna Studio, Mount Zion, which became a base for his artistic work.
He exhibited widely both nationally and internationally submitting work to the Royal Academy
in 1946/47 and numerous other galleries such as the Russell Coates Art Gallery in Bournemouth and The Medici Gallery, Old Bond Street, London. He produced a wide range of private commissions including religious work much of which can still be seen.
His sculptural style reflected his South German background and he excelled in figurative subjects both human and animal. His style was very expressive but with great attention to detail, outlining every muscle, sinew and hair in order to give a feeling of life and movement.
A list of some works:
Figure of St. Eia in St Ives Catholic Church.
Figure of Reigning Christ in Tintagel
Madonna and Child in Bodmin
He also produced a series of figurines for Wade before World War II.
- Photographs of work by Faust Lang