FC Carl Zeiss Jena
is a German association football club
based in Jena
The club was founded in May 1903 by workers at the Carl Zeiss AG
optics factory as the company-sponsored Fussball-Club der Firma Carl Zeiss
. The club underwent name changes in 1911 to Fussball Club Carl Zeiss Jena e.V.
and then again in March 1917 to 1. Sportverein Jena e.V.
The 1930s and World War II
In 1933, 1. SV Jena
joined the Gauliga Mitte
, one of sixteen top flight divisions formed in the re-organization of German football under the Third Reich
. The team captured the division title in 1935, 1936, 1940, and 1941. This earned Jena
entry to the national finals, but they performed poorly and were never able to advance out of preliminary round group play. After the 1943–44 season the Gauliga Mitte broke up into a collection of city-based leagues as World War II overtook the area.
Postwar play in East Germany
In the immediate aftermath of the war, associations of all types including sports and football clubs, were banned in Germany by the occupying Allied authorities. Jena
was re-constituted in June 1946 as SG Ernst Abbe Jena
and like many other clubs in East Germany
would undergo a number of name changes and was known variously as SG Stadion Jena
(October 1948), SG Carl Zeiss Jena
(March 1949), BSG Mechanik Jena
(January 1951), BSG Motor Jena
(May 1951), and SC Motor Jena
In 1950, the club became a founding member of the DDR Liga (II) and in their second... Read More