The Feinberg School of Medicine
is one of Northwestern University
's 11 schools and colleges. It is a leading, research-intensive American medical school
located in the Streeterville
neighborhood of Chicago, Illinois
, situated near Lake Michigan
and the Magnificent Mile
Originally founded as the medical department of Lind University
in 1859 and renamed the Chicago Medical College in 1863, the school affiliated with Northwestern University in 1870. In 1891, the name was changed to Northwestern University Medical School. It had occupied buildings on the near south side of Chicago from 1870 until the Ward Building was constructed downtown.
Northwestern University Medical School was renamed the Feinberg School of Medicine in 2002, reflecting a $75 million donation from the Joseph and Bessie Feinberg Foundation. Reuben Feinberg started to donate to the university after being hospitalized at Northwestern Memorial Hospital
for a heart attack. The first donation, in 1988, was for $17 million to establish the Feinberg Cardiovascular Research Institute. A $10 million donation was subsequently sent in 1996 to establish the Frances Evelyn Feinberg Clinical Neurosciences Institute.
Northwestern also had another medical school at one time. This began independently as the Women's Hospital Medical College
in 1871. It later changed its name to the Chicago Women's Medical College
and after becoming part of Northwestern University was Northwestern University Women's Medical...