is the name given to an area of eastern Gateshead
. Originally an independent settlement in the historic county of Durham
it became incorporated into the Metropolitan Borough of Gateshead
Its name derives from the area where trees were felled to the east of town to expand and is often referred to locally as "the Felling". It incorporated Leam Lane
Pelaw, Bill Quay, and Windynook
Coal was mined in Felling early in the 17th century. The Felling Colliery was opened in 1779, extended in 1810 and closed in 1931. There was a major explosion on 25 May 1812 which became known as the Felling mine disaster
. It was one of the first major mine disasters in Britain and claimed 92 lives. The explosion influenced the development of the Geordie lamp
and the Davy lamp
. There were 3 other explosions between 1813 and 1847 which claimed a further 34 lives.
Brandling Station, is located on Mulberry street, opposite Felling Metro Station, it was built in 1842 for the Brandling Junction Railway and is one of the oldest passenger stations in England. On 26 March 1907 the 10.52am express passenger train from Leeds
, was derailed while running between Heworth signalbox and Felling Station.
Bridging... Read More