Opened in 1846 by the Bedford Railway, Fenny Stratford Station is situated just over a mile from Bletchley Station. The station buildings were constructed in a half-timberedGothic style which had been insisted upon by the Duke of Bedford for stations situated in the vicinity of the Woburn Estate. The buildings have been assigned a Grade II listing by English Heritage. To the west of the station is Watling Street which had to be raised by some 6ft. 8in. to allow the railway to pass beneath; immediately to the west of the bridge are points connecting with a branch leading onto the freight only Oxford line via the Bletchley flyover. The passenger line and station are protected here by trap points, however they are badly sited and any runaway train caught by it would subsequently crash into the bridge.
The station was originally constructed with staggered platforms, a wedge-shaped down platform being... Read More