Discovered by the British National Antarctic Expedition (1901–04) under Captain Robert Falcon Scott, who named this feature for Hartley T. Ferrar, geologist of the expedition. The name Ferrar Glacier was originally applied both to the part of this glacier below its right turn and to the present Taylor Glacier. Griffith Taylor, geologist of the British Antarctic Expedition (1910–14) under Scott, found evidence that these are not two parts of a single glacier but are two glaciers apposed. With this discovery Scott gave the names Ferrar Glacier and Taylor Glacier essentially as now applied; the Taylor Glacier (q.v.) makes a left turn at Cavendish Rocks and drains east along the north side of Kukri Hills.