The Finsbury Division
was one of four divisions of the Hundred
, in the county
.The other divisions were named Holborn
. Ossulstone hundred was divided in the seventeenth century, with each of the four divisions replacing the hundred for most administrative purposes.
The division stretched from the boundary of the City of London
north to the border between Middlesex
. In 1899 the area, with the southern section becoming part of the new County of London
, and the northern section remaining in Middlesex
The area is now covered by three London Boroughs
, parts of Barnet
, and Hackney
Later use of the name "Finsbury"
Under the Reform Act 1832
, part of the Division became the Parliamentary Borough
of Finsbury. A smaller area became the Metropolitan Borough of Finsbury
in 1900. The placename "Finsbury
" now generally refers to part of the London Borough of Islington
formerly the Metropolitan Borough
The Finsbury Division contained the following "parishes, townships, precincts and places":
Inner Parishes (Included in the district of the......