The village has a primary school, one pub named The Dew Drop Inn (previously The Jubilee Inn), a church dating back to Norman times and is the home of Backwell Flax Bourton Cricket Club. In 2008 a charity cricket match was played involving a Lashings world XI and Backwell Flax Bourton Cricket Club in aid of multiple sclerosis.
To the north of the village and close to the Bristol to Exeter railway line a mill was built on the Land Yeo. It may have existed at the time of the Domesday Book and strong documentary evidence exists from 1769. Between 1839 and 1885 the river wasdiverted into the tailrace of the mill, eliminating a bend in the river. All that remains of the three storey mill is a single storey garage of a private house.
Farleigh Hospital and the Church of St. George was built in 1837 as a Workhouse for the Bedminster Union.and is now home to the Coroner's court for......