The locomotive served on the Florida East Coast Railway from 1922 to 1938, and pulled a train carrying President Calvin Coolidge's to Miami in 1928. In 1935, when she was in use on the run between Miami and Key West, #153 was one of the last engines to reach Miami before the hurricane that year destroyed the bridges to the Florida Keys. For pulling the "rescue train" out of Marathon, #135 (currently at the Gold Coast Railroad Museum) was designated a National Historic Site in the 1980s. After 1938 #153 was used as an industrial switcher by the United States Sugar Corporation of Clewiston, Florida. In 1957, she was donated to the University of Miami. From March 1957 until November 1966, she operated in Miami every Sunday. In 1966 she received a major overhaul, after which she was inspected and subsequently certified by the Interstate Commerce Commission.