, was a British fort
built by the combined efforts of both British and Provincial troops (from New York and the New England Colonies) in North America
in 1759 at narrows on Lake Champlain
on the border between modern New York State
. Erected to secure the region against the French, the Fort is located near the town of Crown Point, New York
and was the largest earthen fortress built in the United States
. The site is now administered as Crown Point State Historic Site
The French first built a fortress at Crown Point in the 1730s with thick limestone walls named Fort St. Frederic
. British forces targeted it twice during the French and Indian War
before the French destroyed it in the summer of 1759.
The Crown Point fort was constructed by the British army under the command of Sir Jeffery Amherst
following the capture of Carillon
, a French fort to the south (which he renamed Ticonderoga
), and the destruction of Fort St. Frédéric. Amherst used the construction of the fort as a means of keeping his men working through the winter of 1759 after pushing the French into modern Canada
The Fort was never directly assaulted. Mostly built after the threat of French invasion had ended, it was used largely for staging rather than as a position in its own right.
After the French and Indian War the British left only a skeletal force at the Fort, which yielded easily to Capt. Seth Warner and 100 Green......