The road and rail bridge is jointly owned by Boise Inc. and Abitibi Consolidated, which operate paper mills on the U.S. and Canadian sides of the river, respectively.
The bridge carries both road and rail traffic, without grade separation. The rails run along the west side of the bridge, which also carries a pipeline between the paper mills. The west side of the bridge carries two lanes of automobile traffic, one in each direction. Trucks and buses are directed to drive on the rail portion of the bridge, which is capable of handling heavier loads.
A dam constructed in 1905 lies immediately west of the bridge. The reservoir to the east of the dam conceals the rapids for which International Falls was named.