The district was formed in 1951 and opened for class in September 1952 for the purpose of serving the children of military personnel residing on Fort Sam Houston and Camp Bullis; previously, the children were assigned to surrounding districts. Initially only grades 1-6 were offered, but in 1961 construction began on a junior/senior high school to offer secondary education (grades 7-12) on post. The 6th grade was later moved to the junior/senior high school and the PK and kindergarten grades later added.
Currently, only students whose parents physically reside on either Fort Sam Houston or Camp Bullis have automatic right to attend Fort Sam Houston ISD schools; students whose parents are assigned to either installation, but reside off-post, can be accepted as transfer students, but the parents must provide transportation.
Fort Sam Houston ISD is not part of the Department of Defense school system, it is an independent school district subject to the jurisdiction of the Texas Education Agency. It is one of three school districts in the state whose boundaries are coterminous with a military installation; the other two (also in the San Antonio area) are Randolph Field and Lackland. As the district's boundaries are coterminous... Read More