is a small village in South Cambridgeshire
. It has a number of well-preserved fifteenth and sixteenth century houses, and a thirteenth century church dedicated to St Lawrence
The parish has been occupied for at least 2000 years; in the first century A.D. a Belgic
settlement appeared, closely followed by a Romano-British farmstead near Hoffer bridge. A pagan English cemetery has also been found just north of the railway station
The parish itself was formed over the medieval period and is bounded on the north by the River Cam
and on the north-east and southwest by the Hoffer and Shepreth brooks. Its south-east boundary follows an ancient road that runs north-east from Fowlmere
, known as the Mareway from the 14th century (now the B1368), and further west by an earthwork known as Grim's ditch or Thriplow bank.
Known as Foxetune
at the time of the Domesday Book
, the village's name means "farmstead where foxes are seen".
The theologian William Selwyn
lived in Foxton House in the village in the 19th century.
There has been a church in Foxton since the 12th century, and it has been dedicated to St Lawrence
since at least 1225. The present building, consisting of a west tower, porch, and chancel with aisled and clerestoried nave was probably begun in the 13th century and extended over the following 200... Read More