The Frederick Douglass Memorial Bridge,
otherwise known as the South Capitol Street Bridge,
carries South Capitol Street
over the Anacostia River
in Washington, D.C.
It was constructed in 1950 and named after abolitionist Frederick Douglass
. In 2007 the bridge was used by 77,000 daily commuters.
The bridge connects at its southern terminus with Interstate 295
and the Suitland Parkway
and thus provides access to downtown from those routes as well as from South Capitol Street and roads connecting to it. As a result, the bridge carries commuter traffic from Prince George's County, Maryland
and from Southern Maryland
. The bridge is part of the National Highway System
, as are South Capitol Street north of the bridge and the Suitland Parkway. Major re-decking work was done to the bridge in 1974 and again in 1988.
The bridge, besides being in disrepair, provides a gateway to an industrial part of the city that the Government of the District of Columbia wants to rejuvenate, including the area around the new Nationals Park
for the Washington Nationals
, which opened March 30, 2008.
The bridge closed for major renovations on July 6, 2007. The $27 million project was intended to help extend the life of the bridge for 20 years until a new one is built. The bridge reopened August 29, 2007.
The northernmost portion of the bridge was lowered to become an at-grade roadway with a new intersection at South Capitol Street and Potomac Avenue. Nearly three blocks of elevated roadway, which... Read More